Nassau County is 726 square miles of natural beauty located in the northeast corner of Florida along the Atlantic Ocean and Interstate 95. With 13 miles of pristine beaches, hundreds of miles of rivers, historic downtown Fernandina Beach, and an expanding economy. The combination of rich history, rural charm, natural resources, quality-of-life, and proximity to strategic installations provides Nassau County with unparalleled potential. Part of the Jacksonville Metropolitan Area, Nassau County has a population of 91,113 and a regional population of 1.6 million, the Florida Bureau of Economic and Business Research (BEBR) estimates that Nassau County grew by 4.92% last year ranking as the 4th fastest-growing county, by percent growth, in Florida [2nd among counties with a population of at least 80,000]. BEBR predicts Nassau County will be the sixth fastest-growing county in the State of Florida over the next 10 years with a projected population expansion of 33% resulting in over 121,600 people calling Nassau County home.
To view the position description or submit your application for consideration, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nassaucountyfl/
Under the supervision of the Director, interprets County planning and zoning regulations for professionals and the general public.
- Performs general GIS data management and spatial analysis.
- Staffs Conditional Use and Variance Board and assists with the Planning and Zoning Board and the Board of County Commissioners as required.
- Assists with Planning Department planning initiatives, including public outreach and community engagement.
- Receives and responds to inquiries regarding planning and zoning issues; interprets and explains the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code, and other applicable plans and codes to engineers, architects, contractors, property/business owners, and other interested parties.
- Assists permit applicants; determines/verifies zoning status as requested; reviews permits where required.
- Makes presentations to the Planning and Zoning Board, Conditional Use and Variance Board, Board of County Commissioners and citizens’ groups as needed.
- Prepares staff reports and ordinances as needed.
- Researches information pertaining to land development issues.
- Conducts field inspections of properties.
- Coordinates planning efforts with consulting firms as requested.
- Interacts and communicates with the immediate supervisor, co-workers, County personnel, engineers, contractors, consultants, architects, Board members, community/civic organizations and the general public.
- Operates a vehicle and a variety of equipment, which may include a computer, telephone, calculator, copier, etc.
- Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding absenteeism and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to higher management with respect to vacation time and leave requests.
- Performs related duties as required.
(These essential functions are not a complete statement of all duties required of the job. Employees will be required to perform such other related job duties as may be assigned or required.)
Requires a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Public Administration, or related field supplemented by six (6) months to one (1) year in urban/municipal planning, or a Bachelor’s Degree in these fields supplemented with one (1) to two (2) years in urban/municipal planning, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Knowledge of ESRI’s ArcGIS platforms required or shall be acquired within one year of employment. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred, but not required. Must possess a valid State Driver's License.
The range for this position is $56,860.97 - $86,520.67. The County provides a comprehensive benefits program and participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) and has a 3% employee contribution requirement. Voluntary supplemental 457 deferred compensation retirement is also available. For additional benefit information, visit: https://www.nassaucountyfl.com/243/Employee-Benefits.
Nassau County is a Drug Free Workplace; Nassau County values the service veterans and their family members have given to our country and that the County supports the hiring of returning service members, military spouses, and their family members as such this position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference in accordance with applicable laws.
Job Type : Full-Time